Monday, August 4, 2014

Almond Joy Quinoa Bites

I prefer these fresh out of the oven, but they're pretty good the next day as well (assuming I can keep myself from making a midnight visit to the kitchen to finish them off).  I often use my toaster oven on the convection setting, that way I don't need to preheat my whole big oven for such a small batch of muffins, but be careful on the timing, it can vary a lot depending on the unit you're using.



Almond Joy Quinoa Bites

·         1 ½ cups cooked quinoa*
·         ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
·         ¼ cup brown sugar
·         ¼ cup flour ( I use whole wheat, but any type should work)
·         1 teaspoon cinnamon
·         1 egg (beaten)
·         ¼ cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
·         ¼ cup coarsely chopped almonds


Lightly grease a mini muffin pan, and preheat oven to 325.  Mix quinoa and dry ingredients (up to egg) in a medium bowl.  Add egg. Stir in chocolate and almonds.  Bake for 12-15 minutes.  Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (except for possible melted chocolate…)



*I prepare quinoa in my rice maker and keep it in the refrigerator to use over several days.  For all types of quinoa I use a ratio of 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups of water, and 1 teaspoon of peanut oil.

For nutritional information copy and paste the following into your address bar:
http://www.myrecipemagic.com/recipe/recipedetail/almond-joy-quinoa-bites

1 comment:

  1. These were delicious! Sweet-but-not-too-sweet with great texture; if oatmeal can be featured in cookies, why not quinoa?

    ReplyDelete